Fundraising Essentials provides you with the basic knowledge and practical tools to help get you started as a fundraiser. The course covers key principles in ethical practice, reasons, and vehicles for giving, core fundraising models to understand the donor journey, and how to build a case for support. This course will bring theory to life with best-practice fundraising techniques so you can hit the ground running and make an impact in your fundraising role.
This course can be delivered in three ways to suit your preferred learning mode and availability.
- Self-paced over 3 months via our online learning portal for those who are strong independent learners who like a longer timeframe. The course is approximately 12 hours study. You can complete the course in less than 3 months
- Online tutor-led is a 1 day option via zoom with the support of a tutor for those wanting to complete in a shorter timeframe
- In-class is also a 1 day option hosted at a venue in each major city (excluding NT) for those who learn best in a classroom environment.
What you’ll learn
- How the Australian fundraising sector works
- Key regulations that impact fundraisers and not-for-profits
- Motivations for donor generosity and charitable giving
- Various fundraising channels, trends and methodologies
- The role of quality data and people to acquire and retain donors.
Who is this course for?
- People who are new to the fundraising sector with little or no knowledge of fundraising techniques and practice
- People already working in the not-for-profit sector but who are new to a fundraising role
- People who may be looking to enter the charity and not-for-profit sector in a fundraising role
- Fundraisers in volunteer roles with little or no knowledge of fundraising practice.
Module 1: Overview of Fundraising: Provide students with an overview of the scope of fundraising, types of fundraising and key regulations to be aware of.
Module 2: Fundraising Basics: Provide students with basic information about why donors give and key elements to consider when fundraising and defining a case for support.
Module 3: Donor Acquisition: Provide students with key information on how to acquire donors associated with various fundraising channels.
Module 4: Donor Development: Provide students with key methods and frameworks for donor development and stewardship
Module 5: Managing Fundraising: Provide students with the key issues associated with managing data in marketing and privacy.
Dates and Time
Available to start anytime
Access to materials:
3 months self-paced
(Approx. 12 hours of study)
Non member $305
7 September 2022
9.00am – 5.00pm
***Registrations now closed
***New date for Melbourne, Thursday 13 October 2022
Non member $495
This course relates to the following aspects of the FIA Code of Conduct:
- FIA Code 4.0 Conduct towards Donors, 3.0 Ethical conduct, 6.0 Conduct in Supplier relationships.
Full participation in Fundraising Essentials is applicable for up to 7.5 continuing education points in Category 1.B – Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or recertification.
Meet the tutors
Francesca has been a member of FIA for over 20 years and has held senior executive roles in a number of not-for-profit organisations including Heart Foundation, Save the Children and Spine Care Foundation.
A Fundraising specialist since 2005, Bianca founded her own consultancy in 2011. She was FIA 2012 Young Fundraiser of the year.
Click here for FIA Education terms and conditions