Fundraising Essentials provides you with the basic knowledge and practical tools to help get you started as a fundraiser. The course covers key principles in ethical practice, reasons, and vehicles for giving, core fundraising models to understand the donor journey, and how to build a case for support. This course will bring theory to life with best-practice fundraising techniques so you can hit the ground running and make an impact in your fundraising role.
This course can be delivered in three ways to suit your preferred learning mode and availability.
- Self-paced over 3 months via our online learning portal for those who are strong independent learners who like a longer timeframe. The course is approximately 12 hours study. You can complete the course in less than 3 months
- Online tutor-led is a 1 day option via zoom with the support of a tutor for those wanting to complete in a shorter timeframe
- In-class is also a 1 day option hosted at a venue in each major city (excluding NT) for those who learn best in a classroom environment.
What you’ll learn
- How the Australian fundraising sector works
- Key regulations that impact fundraisers and not-for-profits
- Motivations for donor generosity and charitable giving
- Various fundraising channels, trends and methodologies
- The role of quality data and people to acquire and retain donors.
Who is this course for?
- People who are new to the fundraising sector with little or no knowledge of fundraising techniques and practice
- People already working in the not-for-profit sector but who are new to a fundraising role
- People who may be looking to enter the charity and not-for-profit sector in a fundraising role
- Fundraisers in volunteer roles with little or no knowledge of fundraising practice.
Dates and Time
Available to start anytime
Access to materials:
3 months self-paced
(Approx. 12 hours of study)
Non member $305
23 – 24 March 2022
1.00pm – 5.00pm AEDT
Non member $495
7 September 2022
9.00am – 5.00pm
In class Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane
Non member $495
This course relates to the following aspects of the FIA Code of Conduct:
- FIA Code 4.0 Conduct towards Donors, 3.0 Ethical conduct, 6.0 Conduct in Supplier relationships.
Full participation in Fundraising Essentials is applicable for up to 7.5 continuing education points in Category 1.B – Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or recertification.
Meet the tutors
Francesca has been a member of FIA for over 20 years and has held senior executive roles in a number of not-for-profit organisations including Heart Foundation, Save the Children and Spine Care Foundation.
A Fundraising specialist since 2005, Bianca founded her own consultancy in 2011. She was FIA 2012 Young Fundraiser of the year.
Click here for FIA Education terms and conditions